Thursday 15 August 2013

Another Swikeru: St. Alberta Sprint Race Report

So this past Sunday I raced again and I sweated a bunch*.

*Fun fact, my sweat tastes really salty.

Oh and I've decided the name triathlon sounds boring and instead have opted to combine the words 'swim','bike', and 'run' into a better description of the sport - 'swikeru'. I feel its far more descriptive than a word that literally just implies 'three of'. Three of what exactly?

Three mammals?


Three plants?


Three petri dishes containing different bacterial cultures?


Swikeru is clearly more descriptive, plus it sounds Japanese - and everything from Japan is cool. I mean they are the people who invented the Girlfriend Lap Pillow after all.


Its clearly only a matter of time before the term 'swikeru' catches on.


Anywho, this particular race was the St. Alberta Sprint race. The event is in its 24th year and as such is a model of organization, and I must say the only event I like more is the Apple Triathlon in Kelowna this coming weekend.

Seriously. James Dean knows his swikerus (see isn't this so much more fun to say?). I heard through the grape vine babbling that it was his first year running the event - well let's just say he could have fooled me. The race was organized, the course was fantastic, the volunteers were numerous and knew what they were doing, there was great prizes, and they fed us after the race. I seriously cannot stress how much I appreciate a knowledgeable leadership at the helm of a swikeru after the disorganization I experienced in Toronto (I have since found out that the technical delegate submitted a 5-page list of all the violations present at that race to the organizers of the TTF and I sincerely hope they take heed and correct the problems for future competitions). Consequently, this race was a fun and dare I say even a relaxing event*.

*The fact I have my qualification spot for 2014 worlds now and times no longer matter as much also probably significantly helped my ability to relax and have fun at this race.

This was also a cool race, because one of my number one fans was present to watch the event (and she said it was a very spectator friendly event, so again good job James).

This is her (her counter-part, father-figure, usually is present to cheer too but was unable to make this one):



Of course mothers (and fathers) are generally fans of their children but it is always nice when they show up to remind you of that. And take pictures. Lots of pictures. From different angles. And then photos with your friends being goofs. And pictures after the race. And yelling at you while your in the water even though you can't hear.

Okay so clearly my excitable mother is quite proud of the fact that her once lazy child is now a swikeru-lete. Either that or she just enjoys making loud noises and taking lots of photos of everything. Actually that may entirely be possible too - but I'm still going to go with the proud part.

Now for the race report part.

I'm going to be honest here, it was another swikeru. I swam, then I biked, and then I ran. Nothing exceptionally weird or bad happened and I finished the race reasonably pleased with my performance despite being 7 minutes behind my personal best and 4th place in my age group. As well, never once did I see a flying hippo.


The swim was in a 25m pool, which is not my favorite way to race but the race officials managed to keep the lanes from being too crowded so it actually turned out to be okay. I am just horrible at flip turns. I should probably fix that. I am pretty sure a three legged spider doing jumping jacks looks more graceful than my flip turns. Being a sprint, I only had 30 lengths before leaving the chlorinated waters of Fountain Park Pool for transition. Somehow I still managed to miscount. Thank goodness for the Red Flutter Board of Warning from the officials signalling I was coming to the end of my swim - when I finished I was at a 26 count in my head, I would have done an extra 100 meters had they not told me when I had 50m left!

My first transition felt quick, I am pleased I have gotten my time down for these things. My bike felt like I was pushing hard, but time wise was really slow. It kind of confused me. The course was 20km on the nose, so clearly my legs just decided they were related to a tortoise were just not going as hard as I had thought they were.


In my T2 I had troubles getting my run shoes on. It honestly took me about 20 seconds longer than I should have. But I didn't really get that stressed or frustrated, I think mostly because I knew I was doing this race solely for the fun of it - and today results didn't matter*.

*Such an awesome way to race!

The run was hilly and in the valley parks, which was a blast - but made for a slower run time. I felt faster and fitter than I had during my previous runs this season, so despite my slower time I was not upset with my run at all.

The day was lovely, oh and my team-mate won yet another bike. She's won two bikes this season at race draws!

And that's about all I have to say! The race was great, my results were meh but I had fun during the race, and I am jealous of my team-mates bike winning luck.

I leave tomorrow for Kelowna, where I race in my last domestic swikeru of the season (before departing for London to compete in 2013 Worlds). I am sure I will be a bit chattier in the next post as I will have a race and a week's worth of training shenannigans to report on!

PS - Did you know when the giant marshmallow man in Ghost Busters explodes, the white goo that covers everyone in the street was actually 50 pounds of shaving cream? Bet you didn't!

Cheers!

Bry

1 comment:

  1. Swikeru sounds Australian.. think I'll go play my didgeridoo after the Swikeru, then another shrimp on the barbi for me mate!

    ReplyDelete